June Travel Highlights|
by Anne Butler
The procession was not an impressive one, certainly not an unusual event in the midst of a bloody war, and it would no doubt have escaped all notice but for one fact--this was the day the war stopped, if only for a few mournful moments.
Commanding the Albatross was Lt. Commander John E. Hart of Schenectady, New York. A valiant naval officer whose skill and bravery in life were renown, Commander Hart would have even more lasting impact through his death, for after having shelled St. Francisville, Hart died by his own hand in a fit of delirium probably brought on by yellow fever. Hart was a Mason and had asked that his remains not be consigned to the river waters, so a delegation was sent from the Albatross to determine if there might be brother Masons in the town of St. Francisville.
There they found one of the oldest Masonic lodges in the state, Feliciana Lodge No. 31 F and AM; its Grand Master was absent serving in the Confederacy, but its Senior Warden, W. W. Leake, was reportedly nearby, "his headquarters being in the saddle." Leake was soon found and persuaded to honor the request for Masonic burial; as a soldier, Leake said, it was his duty to permit burial of deceased members of the armed forces of any government, and as a Mason it was his duty to accord Masonic burial to the remains of a brother Mason regardless of circumstances in the outside world.
And so Lt. Commander John Hart was laid to rest in the Masonic burial lot in the cemetery of Grace Episcopal Church, whose bell tower had made such a tempting target for his shells. Episcopal services were conducted by the Reverend Mr. Lewis, rector of Grace, and respect was paid by Union and Confederate Masons alike. And then the war resumed, with Lee’s northern invasion turned back at Gettysburg July 3, Vicksburg falling July 4, and Port Hudson finally surrendering July 9, all in one catastrophic week.
Beautiful Grace Episcopal Church, established in 1827 as the second oldest Episcopal congregation in the state, is a well-preserved brick structure reminiscent of Gothic country churches which dot the English countryside, and its peaceful oak-shaded cemetery is filled with fine statuary and Victorian monuments of marble and stone. Just down Ferdinand St. is Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church, on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River, completed in 1893 from plans drawn by Civil War hero General P.G.T. Beauregard. On Royal St. in the midst of St. Francisville’s historic district is United Methodist Church, built in 1899 with splendid simplicity of style.
There are quite a few historic cemeteries in the St. Francisville area as well, besides those which surround existing church structures. Locust Grove Cemetery, now a State Historic Site, is the final resting place of Sarah Knox Taylor Davis, first wife of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and daughter of U.S. President Zachary Taylor; she succumbed to yellow fever as a young bride while visiting relatives on Davis’ sister’s plantation. Hebrew Rest provides a shady burial spot for many members of the important early Jewish community of St. Francisville. Information on area churches and cemeteries is available from the West Feliciana Historical Society’s museum and tourist information center on Ferdinand St. in St. Francisville.
Besides its summertime celebration of the strong bonds of brotherhood in the midst of a very divisive war, several other special activities mark the month of June in St. Francisville. From 10 to 4 every Thursday throughout the month at Rosedown State Historic Site, demonstrations showcase open-hearth cooking techniques. At Audubon State Historic Site, June 22nd features a special program on Audubon’s Feliciana, with nature walks and lectures on the famous artist-naturalist who painted many of his bird studies while staying on the plantation in 1821.
Located on US Highway 61 on the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge, LA, and Natchez, MS, the St. Francisville area is a year-round tourist destination, with six historic plantations—Rosedown and Audubon (Oakley Plantation) State Historic Sites, Butler Greenwood, the Myrtles, the Cottage and Greenwood--open for daily tours, Catalpa Plantation open by reservation and Afton Villa Gardens open seasonally. Reasonably priced meals are available in a nice array of restaurants in St. Francisville, eclectic shops fill restored 19th-century structures throughout the historic downtown area, and some of the state’s best Bed and Breakfasts offer overnight accommodations ranging from golf clubs and lakeside resorts to historic townhouses and country plantations; a modern motel has facilities to accommodate busloads. The scenic unspoiled Tunica Hills region surrounding St. Francisville offers excellent biking, hiking, fishing, birding, horseback riding and other recreational activities. For online coverage of tourist facilities, attractions and events in the St. Francisville area, see www.stfrancisvilleovernight.com or telephone (225) 635-3873 or 635-6330.
|St. Francisville Overnight||Town of St. Francisville||Audubon Spring Pilgrimage|
|Audubon Country BirdFest||Feliciana Guide Post|