Community Development Foundation
P.O. Box 3044,
US Hwy. 61 at Riverbend Power Station Road
St. Francisville, La. 70775
225-635-6767 / 225-635-6885 (fax)
|THIRD QUARTER JULY-SEPTEMBER 2000|
- Nine months of work on the part of CDF and others culminated on September 28th in the approval of the purchase of Rosedown Plantation by the Louisiana State Bond Commission. While tourism income in the rest of the state has climbed steadily over the past decade, West Feliciana's has remained stagnant or even declined in some areas. This trend can now be reversed with an estimated 100,000 additional visitors per year going through Rosedown as it reopens to the public again.
- West Feliciana Community Development and The West Feliciana Public School System are co-sponsoring a community Job Fair. The Fair will feature 16 booths with leading companies and training facilities and will also present seminars on resume writing, interviewing and SCORE business counseling. The primary target for the Fair will be the youth and young adults of the parish. But the Fair will also be invaluable for those parishioners who want an opportunity to perhaps change careers or even go into business for themselves. Advertising: Bank of St. Francisville fillers in bank statements Inserts in The Democrat weekly newspaper. Registered West Feliciana voters received flyer in mail Flyers sent home with school children.
Churches and service organizations notified.
- West Feliciana Community Development Foundation nominated and was awarded the Louisiana Economic Development Volunteer of the Year for 2000, Chairman H. Carter Leak III. This award will be presented at an award banquet in Charleston, West Virginia, October 14, 2000 by the Southern Economic Development Council.
- Selected and gave preliminary photos, text, and outlines to website design group. Met with local citizens group for up-dates and critiques. West Feliciana citizen groups should have their first look at the website live, but not on line, in December.
- Seminar with School to Work Gateway Program for plans to include training of students before they enter the job market. In association with the West Feliciana Public School Board, four grants were submitted for youth and young adult training.
- West Feliciana Public School System through the Baton Rouge Community College is establishing a Cisco Training Academy for certification training. Applications are being taken at the Job Fair with classes anticipated to begin in January.
- SCORE has continued to meet with West Feliciana parishioners for free business advice. Appointments are generated from the West Feliciana Community Development Foundation with one-on-one appointments in the conference room. SCORE will also be at the Job Fair to offer recommendations and counseling and to make appointments for later dates.
- School economic development promotional brochure statistics completed and sent to printer.
- Affordable Housing Task Force: Researching federal programs for low income housing and parish land for low income housing.
- Resource Utilization Task Force: Researching and providing brochure material for "doing business in West Feliciana "
- Work Force Development: Job Fair and School to Work Program
- Initiated membership campaign. We have 14 new business members since July 1.
- Held a grand opening celebration for Dr. Chaille Daniel at Daniel's Clinic.
- Dean Dan Walsh with LSU's Continuing Education program was the guest speaker at the CDF/Chamber's'Business Brief Luncheon at Hemingbough. He presented a program on incumbent worker training. This presentation was followed up with an initiative to have wait-staff training offered to the restaurants in West Feliciana Parish. A meeting was held with Dr. Doreen Maxey from LSU and restaurant owners on September 11 to begin putting the program into action. It was decided the grant would be written to encompass not only wait staff, but hospitality and housekeeping as well. Another meeting was held on September 26. A survey will be mailed to
prospective participants to formulate the content of the classes. Another meeting will be held in October to begin the grant writing process.
- Conducted grand opening celebration for Sam Daniel and Danielle Ewing at Audubon Learning & Development Center.
- Sponsored a joint Business-After-Hours with the Feliciana Chamber of Commerce at the Old Hickory Railroad in Jackson.
- Coordinated the yearly "Business After Hours" at Angola, which included a tour of the penitentiary and a fish fry at Warden Cain's Ranch House.
- Had a "Meet the Candidates" political forum luncheon at the St. Francis Hotel on the Lake on September 19. Candidates for School Board, and Representative participated.
- Mailed 800 pieces for the annual "Swing for Scholarships" golf tournament to be held at the Bluffs, December 4.
- Organized a grand opening celebration for Shannon Blackard of Little Magnolias & Precious Gifts on Friday, September 15.
- Met with Pam Steinsiek, Christmas in the Country Chair, to organize publicity for Christmas in the Country.
- Hired a new part time employee to work at the Museum: Jamie Williams, college student.
- Created a news release and timetable for activities of Christmas in the Country.
- LTPA yearly marketing meeting- Baton Rouge.
- Packaging developed to inform attractions in St. Francisville of an opportunity to work with travel agents.
- A familiarization tour was given to the employees of the Museum and the new employee of CDF. Visits were made to area Bed and Breakfasts.
- A familiarization tour through Louisiana Travel Promotion Association brought 24 destination marketing operators were brought to West Feliciana Parish. The participants involved in this tour were; Cajun Tours from Houma, Destination
- Management, Inc., Hotard Destination Services, Tours by Isabelle from New Orleans.
- Participated in a meeting at Tezcuco Plantation for regional marketing with West Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge, Ascension, Iberville, and East Feliciana parishes.
- Wrote a grant to LA Office of Tourism for Art in the Park.
- Met with Leroy Harvey of East Feliciana parish to start a regional Festival featuring historical properties.
- Worked with A & E Travel Channel to publicize West Feliciana Parish on national TV.
- Hosted the Louisiana Travel and Promotion Board meeting in St. Francisville.
- Assisted the Historical Society with the West Florida Republic Reception.
- Tourist Commission approved advertising programs for 2001.
- Developed draft Tourism Budget for 2001.
Top of Page
Information supplied WFCDF 10/18/00
Copyright ©1999-2000 Feliciana Guide Post. All rights reserved.