Beech Grove


WFP Historical Society

Contributed from the 1974 Audubon Pilgrimage Booklet
by the WFP Historical Society

The Old Thiry House has known four moves and almost as many renovations. Built 140 years ago(in year 2000 - 166 years old) on the river bank at St. Gabriel, Louisiana, the house was moved back three times to escape the ravages of the Mississippi. During the third move it was remodeled in its present Victorian Gothic style. The last move came in 1967 when Mr. and Mrs. Landry moved it seventy miles north to Wakefield. Here it occupies the site of the pioneer cabin of Colonel William Marbury and his wife Ann, who came to Feliciana in 1790. their graves are under the large oak tree in the front field.

During Audubon's second sojourn in West Feliciana in 1824, he joined his wife Lucy at Beech Grove, then the home of William Garrett Johnson, in teaching the young ladies of the neighborhood.



Other "Trails"

Historic Homes & Plantations
Overnight Accommodations
Historic Churches & Cemeteries
Restaurants
Antiques & Gift Shops
Outdoor Attractions
Area Maps
Other Interests
History Links Lane
Click on the
Calendar

Calender of Events

 

Copyright ©2006 Feliciana Guide Post. All rights reserved.