Romanesque Bank Building


WFP Historical Society

Contributed from the 1976 Audubon Pilgrimage Booklet
by the WFP Historical Society

Money being the necessary thing it is, St. Francisville has had a bank since the Bank of Louisiana opened a branch here in 1824. Strangely enough, not until the present bank building was erected in 1905 to house the Bank of West Feliciana was a real banking house built. That bank failed, as did all others established locally. Reversing the trend, the Bank of Commerce has flourished since its doors opened in 1915. Its Romanesque quarters have recently been refurbished and now contain many examples of 19th century painting and noteworthy Louisiana scenes by contemporary artist Clark Huling.

Update year 2000 - Grandmothers Buttons is now home of the Bank Building.

Thanks to the West Feliciana Parish Historical Society for the write-up.


Other "Trails"

Historic Homes & Plantations
Overnight Accommodations
Historic Churches & Cemeteries
SFInn
Antiques & Gift Shops
Outdoor Attractions
Area Maps
Other Interests
History Links Lane
Click on the
Calendar

Calender of Events

 

Copyright ©1998-2006 Feliciana Guide Post. All rights reserved.