Jackson Hall


WFP Historical Society

Contributed from the 1976 Audubon Pilgrimage Booklet
by the WFP Historical Society

In the Gay Nineties, the Bayou Sara Lodge of the Knights of Pythias, a fraternal service organization, built for themselves in St. Francisville a large two-storied building with a one-story annex. The lower floor was fitted up to fulfill the requirements of a small-town opera house, and here dances were held and theatrical performances stage tow which all the Best People came. The upper floor contained the "Castle Hall" of the Lodge. When Grace Church acquired the property for use as a Parish House in 1938 the upper floor was found to be unsafe and removed. The one-story annex was retained and has continued in its original use, which was as "a place for serving refreshment for more elaborate affairs." Audubon Pilgrims are invited to join the ranks of the Best People in Jackson Hall's Tea Garden for delectable home-cooked fare.

Thanks to the West Feliciana Parish Historical Society for this write-up.


Other "Trails"

Historic Homes & Plantations
Overnight Accommodations
Historic Churches & Cemeteries
SFInn
Antiques & Gift Shops
Outdoor Attractions
Area Maps
Other Interests
History Links Lane
Click on the
Calendar

Calender of Events

 

Copyright ©1998-2006 Feliciana Guide Post. All rights reserved.