Wakefield Plantation History
by Elizabeth Dart


Wakefield PlantationWakefield was built in 1834 by Eliza Pirrie's cousins, Lewis and Sarah Turnbull Stirling, and was an imposing two-storied house with white columns and green louvers copied from Oakley.

The wide center hallway, with its graceful and statement-making staircase, was filled with furniture bought on a buying trip to the North-purchases which included a dining table made by Duncan Phyfe.

Lewis Stirling died before the onslaught of the Civil War that destroyed forever the cotton culture which could produce such a house. Sarah Stirling died in 1875, and two years later her destitute heirs drew lots to effect a drastic settlement. Her widowed daughter Anne Lobdell drew the house itself, but the second floor was removed to become the home of Ruffin Stirling, later known as Woodhill Farm, and the attic became the small home of daughter Catherine Hereford, also a widow.

Both lesser structures burned, though the essential Wakefield remained and is still a shrine to Stirling descendants through the generosity of its present owners.

Wakefield Plantation is a private residence, not opened to tours.

 

Copyright ©1999 Feliciana Guide Post. All rights reserved.