Historic Churches & Cemeteries

Besides their religious importance in providing a firm foundation for the cultural life, our Historic Churches and Cemeteries are also important because of their history and architectural beauty and significance. Tourists visiting West Feliciana Parish and St. Francisville should visit as many sites as possible to make their trip truly fulfilling. Genealogists find great wealth of material in visiting the scenic cemeteries and records of these churches. Photographers can be found in early waking hours seeking that shot of a lifetime. While visiting the Churches and Cemeteries, remember to respect others present and long past.


Historic Churches
Historic District - St. Francisville


Grace Episcopal Church
Organized March 15, 1827, Grace Church is the second oldest Episcopal church in Louisiana. The present Gothic structure was build 1858-60, its cornerstone laid by Leonidas Polk, the Fighting Bishop of the Confederacy. Grace Church's beauty owes much to the restraint of its builder, local master carpenter C.N. Gibbons. Severely damaged by shelling during the Civil War, Grace Church nevertheless saw the burial by its rector of Federal gunboat captain John E. Hart. A Mason, Hart had desired a Masonic burial, and fighting stopped for a day while Confederate and Union Masons honored a brother's request. The Rev. D.S. Lewis read the Episcopal burial service as Commander Hart was laid to rest in the time-honored Masonic plot.
Location: Ferdinand St. in the Historic District of St. Francisville.
History on Grace Church in St Francisville Louisiana

Services:
Sunday 7:30am & 10am

225-635-4035

Old Presbyterian Church

Location: Historic District, St. Francisville, on Prosperity St.


Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church
Built from the plans drawn by Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard in 1871, the church was completed in 1893. The interior columns are of hand-hewn heart pine and the altar was hand-crafted in Natchez.
Location: Off Ferdinand St.at Sewell St. in Historic District of St. Francisville.
For information on Liturgies, Church History, Youth Groups, Women Aux. & Knights of Columbus, click on Visit button.

Services:
Sat.(Vigil) 5:30 pm
Sundays: 10:30 am


United Methodist Church
Methodism arrived here in 1803 with fiery missionary Lorenzo Dow; an imposing church was built in Bayou Sara in 1844. The present church was built in 1899 and includes the bell tower from the old church.
Location: Historic District on Royal St.


Historic Churches
In the Countryside

Afton Villa Baptist
Location: approximately 5 miles north of St. Francisville off US Hwy 61 just north of Afton Villa Gardens
St. John's Episcopal
Location: One mile off US Hwy 61 on Laurel Hill Road, 12 miles north of St. Francisville on US Hwy 61.
History on St. John's Church in Laurel Hill
St. Mary's Episcopal
Location: Ten miles north on Hwy 66, which is 3 miles north on US Hwy 61 of St. Francisville



Historic Cemeteries

Hebrew Rest Cemetery
Located on Commerce St. near intersection of US Hwy 61, Hebrew Rest is remnants of once large Jewish community.
Locust Grove Cemetery
Last remains of Locust Grove Plantation, this family burial site is located 1 mile of La. Hwy 10 and 4 and a half miles east of St. Francisville, Louisiana. Sarah Knox Taylor Davis is buried at Locust Grove. She was the daughter of President Zachary Taylor and wife of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy. Cemetery is designated a State Commemorative Area.
Information  on Cemetery  For History Information

Open: 9am-5pm
Closed:
Thanksgiving
Christmas
McCausland Cemetery



.

Other "Trails"

Historic Homes & Plantations
Overnight Accommodations
Historic Churches & Cemeteries
Restaurants
Antiques & Gift Shops
Outdoor Attractions
Area Maps
Museums & Events
History Links Lane
Click on the
Calendar

Calender of Events

 

Copyright 1998-2006 Feliciana Guide Post. All rights reserved.